Harborough Magna is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire. 

Alternative names: Great Harborough

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1540
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist

Adjacent Parishes

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

HARBOROUGH (GREAT), or HARBROUGH MAGNA, a parish in Rugby district, Warwick; on the Midland railway and the Oxford canal, 3¼ miles NW of Rugby. Post town, Rugby. Acres, 1,580. Real property, £2,787. Pop., 295. Houses, 85. The manor belongs to Sir Payton Skipwith, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £298. Patron, J. W. Boughton Leigh, Esq. The church is part of a very ancient one, supposed to have been monastic; consists of nave and chancel, with a tower; and has some very curiously stained glass. There are a national school, and charities £65.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Administration

County: Warwickshire
Civil Registration District: Rugby
Probate Court: Pre-1837 – Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 – Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Worcester
Rural Deanery: Coventry
Poor Law Union: Rugby
Hundred: Knightlow
Province: Canterbury