Last Updated on
Heanor is an Ancient Parish in the county of Derbyshire.
Other places in the parish include: Shipley.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HEANOR, a village, a township, and a parish in the district of Basford and county of Derby. The village stands near the Erewash river, canal, and railway, and the boundary with Notts, 1 mile WSW of Langley mills r. station, and 6 E by S of Belper; is lighted with gas, and governed by a board of health; was formerly a market town; and has now a post office under Derby, and fairs on Old Martinmas day and 23 Nov. The township comprises 1,535 acres. Real property, £8,264; of which £303 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 3,427; in 1861, 4,084. Houses, 846. The increase of pop. arose from the operations of a building society, and from the extension of coal mining and iron manufacture. The parish contains also the township of Shipley, and the hamlets of Codnor and Loscoe. Acres, 6,870. Real property, £24,157: of which £6,826 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, subdivided. Heanor Hall is the seat of John Ray, Esq. Hosiery and silk blonde lace are extensively manufactured. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £169. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is early English; belonged once to Dale abbey; consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with a square tower; contains several monuments to the Mundy family, and one to the native sculptor, Samuel Watson; and was recently in rather bad condition. A new cemetery, with two conjoint chapels, surmounted by tower and spire, was opened in 1858. The vicarage of Codnor is a separate benefice. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, Quakers, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and charities £10.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Heanor Derbyshire Marriages 1558-1837 – UK Genealogy Archives
Civil Registration District: Basford
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Alfreton
Poor Law Union: Basford
Hundred: Morleston and Litchurch