Last Updated on
Newhall is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Derbyshire, created in 1835 from Stapenhill Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Stanton with Newhall, Stanton and Newhall
Other places in the parish include: Cauldwell.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1833
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1833
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Church Gresley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NEWHALL, a village and a chapelry in Stapenhill parish, Derby. The village stands near Swadlincote r.station, 1½ mile NW of the boundary with Leicester, and 3½ SE of Burton-upon-Trent; and has a post-office under Burton-upon-Trent. The chapelry was constituted in 1845. Pop., 2,246. Houses, 450. There are collieries, an earthenware manufactory, and brick-fields. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £162. Patrons, Trustees. The church is modern; was built at a cost of £7,000; is a brick edifice, in the pointed style; and has a pinnacled tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and an infant school; and the last was built in 1864.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Burton upon Trent
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Hartshorn
Poor Law Union: Burton upon Trent
Hundred: Repton and Gresley