Last Updated on
Norbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Derbyshire. Snelston is a chapelry of Norbury.
Alternative names: Norbury Roston, Norbury and Roston
Other places in the parish include: Roston.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1686
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1673
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NORBURY, a village and a parish in the district of Uttoxeter and county of Derby. The village stands on the river Dove, and on the Ashborne branch of the North Staffordshire railway, at the boundary with Staffordshire, 5 miles SW of Ashborne; and has a station on the railway. The parish contains also the hamlet of Roston; and its post town is Ashborne. Acres, 2,242. Real property, £4,199. Pop., 476. Houses, 100. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to B. Fitzherbert, Esq. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Snelston, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, not reported. Patron, the Rev. F. Broughton. The church comprises decorated English chancel and Tudor nave, aisle, and tower; is in good condition; and contains two elaborate alabaster altar-tombs, of the 15th century, to the Fitzherbert family. There are an endowed school with £17 a year, and charities £20.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Uttoxeter
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Ashbourne
Poor Law Union: Uttoxeter