Last Updated on
North Wingfield is an Ancient Parish in the county of Derbyshire.
Other places in the parish include: Clay Cross, Clay Lane, Pilsley, Pilsley near Chesterfield, Claycross, Claylane, Stretton, Tupton, Woodthorp, and Woodthorpe.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1567
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1669
Separate registers exist for Clay Cross
- Parish registers: 1851
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Methodist New Connexion, Primitive Methodist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Temple Normanton
- Ault Hucknall
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WINGFIELD (North), a township and a parish in Chesterfield district, Derby. The township lies on the Midland railway, ½ mile NNE of Claycross r. station, and 4½ S by E of Chesterfield. Real property, £4,526; of which £1,889 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 668; in 1861, 785. Houses, 136. The parish includes Claylane, Tupton, Stretton, Pilsley, and Woodthorpe townships; and contains Claycross village, which has a post-office under Chesterfield. Acres, 7,603. Pop. in 1851, 4,351; in 1861, 7,339. Houses, 1,328. The increase of pop. arose mainly from extension of coal mining and iron manufacture. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £1,200. Patron, the Rev. James Barrow. The church is old. The vicarage of Claycross is a separate benefice. There are two Methodist chapels, an institute and library, British schools erected at a cost of £4,000, a parochial school, and charities £87.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Chesterfield
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Ashover
Poor Law Union: Chesterfield