Riddings Derbyshire Family History Guide
Riddings is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Derbyshire, created in 1835 from Alfreton Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Riddings with Ironville
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1840
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1845
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Selston with Underwood and Westwood
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
RIDDINGS, a village and a chapelry in Alfreton parish, Derby. The village stands ½ a mile W of Pye-Bridge r. station, and 2½ SW by S of Alfreton; and has a post-office under Alfreton. The chapelry was constituted in 1835. Pop. in 1861, 4,145. Houses, 772. R. House is the seat of J. Oakes, Esq. There are collieries, iron mines, and iron-works; and they have ready facility of conveyance by the Erewash railway and the Cromford canal. The living is a p. curacy, united with the chapelry of Somercotes, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £150. Patron, the Vicar of Alfreton. The church was built in 1845, at a cost of £4,000; is in the early English style; and has a tower and lofty spire. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, and national and infant schools.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Belper
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Alfreton
Poor Law Union: Belper