Ripley is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Derbyshire, created in 1822 from chapelry in Pentrich Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Greenwich, Green Hillocks, Butterley, Marehay, and Hartshay.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1821
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1821
Nonconformists include: Baptist, General Baptist New Connexion, Independent/Congregational, Presbyterian Unitarian, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Codnor and Loscoe
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
RIPLEY, a small town, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Belper district, Derbyshire. The town stands at the terminus of the Derby, Little Eaton, and Ripley railway, near the Cromford canal, 10 miles NNE of Derby; is well-built; carries on extensive trade in connexion with neighbouring collieries, the Butterley iron-works, and an establishment for silk and cotton manufacture; and has a post-office under Derby, a railway station, a banking office, two chief inns, a church, five dissenting chapels, a school-church, two national schools, a weekly market on Saturday, and fairs on Easter-Wednesday, 23 Oct., and 5 Nov. The church was built in 1821, restored in 1861, and improved in 1868. The chapelry contains also the hamlets of Butterley, Hartshay, Marehay, Greenwich, and Green-Hillocks; and is in Pentrich parish. Acres, 2,164. Real property, £35,860; of which £17,858 are in mines, and £7,647 in iron-works. Pop. in 1851, 3,071; in 1861, 5,244. Houses, 1,050. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to J. Woolley, Esq., and the executors of the late J. Topham, Esq. Butterley Hall is the seat of Major Jessop. A branch of the Erewash Valley railway comes to Butterley works. Zinc smelting is carried on at Hartshay. Roman coins were found in 1730. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £300. Patron, F. Wright, Esq. The sub-district contains also the rest of Pentrich parish, all South Wingfield parish, and parts of two others. Pop. in 1851, 9,489; in 1861, 12,185. Houses, 2,510.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Belper
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Alfreton
Poor Law Union: Belper
Hundred: Morleston and Litchurch