Upper Helmsley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire. 

Alternative names: Over Helmsley, Upper Helmsley

Riding: North Riding

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1642
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1631

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

  • Warthill
  • Bossall with Buttercrambe
  • Gate Helmsley

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

HELMSLEY (Upper), a parish in the district of York and N. R. Yorkshire; on the river Derwent, 1½ mile NE of Helmsley-Gate r. station, and 7½ NE by E of York. Post town, Stamford-Bridge, under York. Acres, 850. Real property, £529. Pop., 78. Houses, 11. The manor, with Helmsley Lodge, belongs to J. Field, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £116. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is a brick edifice of 1795, with a tower.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Administration

County: Yorkshire
Civil Registration District: York
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of St Leonard’s Hospital, York
Diocese: York
Rural Deanery: Bulmer
Poor Law Union: York
Hundred: Bulmer
Province: York