Upleatham is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Yorkshire, created in 1786 from chapelry in Guisborough Ancient Parish. 

Alternative names: 

Riding: North Riding

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1654
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1601

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Wesleyan Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

  • Guisborough
  • Skelton in Cleveland
  • Marske in Cleveland
  • Kirkleatham

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

UPLEATHAM, a township and a parish in Guisbrough district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies 2 miles S of Marske r. station, and has a post-office under Redcar. Acres, 1,378. Real property, £2,620. Pop. in 1851, 274; in 1861, 521. Houses, 117. The parish includes also part of Redcar township; and had, in 1851, a pop.  of 447, in 1861, a pop. of 1,007. The increase of pop. arose mainly from the opening of ironstone mines. The manor belonged to Siward the Dane; passed to Hugh Lupus, the Bruces, the Fauconbergs, and others; and, with U. Hall, belongs now to the Earl of Zetland. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £85. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church was built in 1835. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Administration

County: Yorkshire
Civil Registration District: Guisborough
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Diocese: York
Rural Deanery: Cleveland
Poor Law Union: Guisborough
Hundred: Langbaurgh
Province: York