Ugglebarnby is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Yorkshire, created in 1748 from chapelry in Whitby Ancient Parish. 

Alternative names: Whitby All Saints

Other places in the parish include: Little Beck and Iburn Dale. 

Riding: North Riding

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1732
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1638

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

  • Land Common to Eskdaleside and Ugglebarnby
  • Eskdaleside
  • Whitby
  • Sneaton
  • Grosmont
  • Aislaby

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

UGGLEBARNBY, a township-chapelry in Whitby parish, N. R. Yorkshire; 1½ mile S of Sleights r. station, and 3½ SSW of Whitby. Post town, Whitby. Acres, 2,217. Real property, £2,606; of which £50 are in quarries. Pop., 437. Houses, 92. The manor belonged to Whitby abbey, and passed to the Archbishop of York. The living is annexed to Eskdalesi de. Charities, £12.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Administration

County: Yorkshire
Civil Registration District: Whitby
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Diocese: York
Rural Deanery: Cleveland
Poor Law Union: Whitby
Hundred: Whitby Strand
Province: York