Radstock is an Ancient Parish in the county of Somerset.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1652
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1597

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Primitive Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.

Adjacent Parishes

  • Midsomer Norton
  • Kilmersdon
  • Writhlington
  • Camerton
  • Clandown

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

RADSTOCK, a village and a parish in Clutton district, Somerset. The village stands on the Fosse way, on a small affluent of the river Avon, at a meeting-point of railways forming in 1868 from Frome, Bath, and Keynsham, 7 miles NW of Frome; takes its name from red sandstone lying below and around it; is the centre of an extensive coal-field; was connected, by mineral railway, with the canal near Mitford, and with the Great Western railway at Frome; and has a post-office under Bath. The parish comprises 1,005 acres. Real property, £14,548; of which £9,202 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 1,792; in 1861, 2,227. Houses, 413. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Countess of Waldegrave. Round Hill barrow is near the village. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £270. Patron, the Countess of Waldegrave. The church consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and tower. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, United Free Methodists, and a national school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Administration

County: Somerset
Civil Registration District: Clutton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Wells
Diocese: Bath and Wells
Rural Deanery: Frome
Poor Law Union: Clutton
Hundred: Kilmersdon
Province: Canterbury