Uphill is an Ancient Parish in the county of Somerset. 

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1696
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1598

Nonconformists include: Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

  • Weston-super-Mare
  • Bleadon

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

UPHILL, a parish, with a village, in Axbridge district, Somerset; on the coast at the month of the river Exe, and on the Bristol and Exeter railway, 2½ miles S of Weston-super-Mare. It has a post-office under Weston-super-Mare. Acres, 1,697; of which 620 are water. Real property, £3,175. Pop., 447. Houses, 85. The manor, with U. Castle, belongs to T. T. Knyfton, Esq. U. House is the seat of the Rev. W. R. Crotch. Axium is supposed to have been a Roman settlement; was the shipping-place of mining produce from the Mendip hills; and was, for some time, the residence of the historian Gildas. U. cavern is a bone cave; was discovered in 1826; and was then replete with remains of sheep, oxen, pigs, horses, elephants, rhinoceroses, bears, and hyænas. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £300. Patron, T. Bennett, Esq. The old church crowns a hill, commanding an extensive view, serves as a notable landmark; shows almost every style, from Norman to late perpendicular; and is crumbling to. decay. The new church was built in 1843, and is in the later English style. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a parochial school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Administration

County: Somerset
Civil Registration District: Axbridge
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Wells
Diocese: Bath and Wells
Rural Deanery: Axbridge
Poor Law Union: Axbridge
Hundred: Winterstoke
Province: Canterbury