Ardsley is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Yorkshire, created in 1843 from Darfield Ancient Parish; located on Doncaster Road.
Riding: West Riding
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1839
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1842
- Barnsley St Mary
- Monk Bretton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ARDSLEY, a township and a chapelry in Darfield parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the Barnsley branch railway, and on the Dearne and Dove canal, 2¾ miles ESE of Barnsley; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office under Barnsley. Acres, 1,212. Real property, £12,033, of which £7,109 are in mines and quarries. Pop., 1,772. Houses, 363. The chief residences are Ardsley Hall and Ardsley Park. The fanatical and ill-used Quaker, James Nayler, who died in 1660, was a native. The chapelry is less extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1844. Pop., 1,712. Houses, 363. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £120. Patron, the Vicar of Darfield. The church is in the Norman style, and was built in 1841. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Ardsley, a township in the parish of Darfield, west riding of Yorkshire; 2½ miles east from Barnsley; on the Dearne and Dove canal. A new church in the Norman style was opened here in June, 1841. The tithes, the property of Trinity college, Cambridge, and the rector, were commuted in 1760. There are 3 daily schools here; one of which is understood to have a small endowment. Pop., in 1801, 461; in 1831, 1,029. Houses 199. Acres 1,030. A. P. £2.566. Poor rates, in 1837, £200.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Civil Registration District: Barnsley
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Rural Deanery: Doncaster
Poor Law Union: Barnsley