Last Updated on
Pentrich is an Ancient Parish in the county of Derbyshire.
Alternative names: Pentridge
Other places in the parish include: Butterley Park and Waingraves.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1621
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1663
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Presbyterian, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Codnor and Loscoe
- South Wingfield
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PENTRICH, a township and a parish in Belper district, Derby. The township lies adjacent to Ryknield-street, the Cromford canal, the river Derwent, and the Midland railway, 2½ miles SSW of Alfreton, and 2½ ENE of Ambergate r. station; and once had a weekly market. Real property, £4,147; of which £1,600 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 486; in 1861, 585. Houses, 116. The parish contains also the chapelry of Ripley, which has a post-office under Derby. Acres, 3,889. Real property, £40,007; of which £19,458 are in mines, and £7,647 in ironworks. Pop. in 1851, 3,557; in 1861, 5,829. Houses, 1,166. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of collieries and ironworks. The property is much subdivided. The manor of Pentrich belongs to the Duke of Devonshire; and that of Ripley, to J. Woolley, Esq., and the executors of the late J. Topham, Esq. Butterley Hall, Butterley Carr, Scarsdale House, and the Elms, are chief residences. A tunnel of the Cromford canal is here, 8,898 feet long. A Roman settlement was at Coneygree. Serious disturbances, with destruction of several houses, occurred in 1817. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £150. Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church is ancient but good; stands on a rising ground; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains several ancient monuments. The p. curacy of Ripley is a separate benefice. There are a Calvinistic chapel and a parochial school in Pentrich; and five dissenting chapels, a mechanics’ institute, and a national school in. Ripley.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Belper
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Alfreton
Poor Law Union: Belper
Hundred: Morleston and Litchurch