Tipton St Martin Staffordshire Family History Guide
Tipton St Martin is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.
Alternative names: Tibbiston, Tibbington
Other places in the parish include: Greatbridge, Princes End, Horseley Heath, Toll End, Great Bridge, and Dudley Port.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1573
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1672
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Methodist New Connexion, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, Unitarian, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- West Bromwich Christ Church
- Tipton St Paul
- Rowley Regis
- West Bromwich All Saints
- Ocker Hill
- Dudley St Edmund
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
TIPTON, or Tibbington, a parish in Dudley district, Stafford; on the Birmingham canal, and on the Stour Valley, the South Staffordshire, the Great Western, and the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton railways, 1½ mile NNE of Dudley. It contains Horseley-Heath, Dudley-Port, Tipton-Green, Princes-End, Toll-End, and part of Greatbridge villages; and it has seven r. stations, wharves, a head post-office‡ of Tipton at Horseley-Heath, receiving post-offices‡ at Princes-End, Tipton-Green, and Greatbridge, four police stations, a police and petty-sessions court-house, a board of health, and a plentiful supply of good water. Acres, 3,020. Real property, £130,225; of which £32 are in quarries, £38,875 in mines, and £43,549 in ironworks. Pop. in 1851, 24,872; in 1861, 28,870. Houses, 5,695. The property is much subdivided. Iron-stone and coal abound; fire-bricks, cement, soap, grease, malt, files, and nails are made; and heavy iron goods, including anchors, cables, pit-chains, iron-fenders, fire-irons, and all kinds of steam-engine machinery are largely manufactured. The parish is ecclesiastically cut into the four sections of St. Martin, St. Paul, St John, and St. Mark. The livings are all p. curacies in the diocese of Lichfield. Value of St. Martin, £750; of St. P., £300; of St. J. £50; of St. Mark, £150. Patron of St. Martin, S. S. Lloyd, Esq.; of St. P., the Incumbent of St. Martin; of St. J., the Incumbent of St. Martin; of St. Mark, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. Three of the churches are recent; and the fourth, excepting the tower, was recently rebuilt. There are 15 dissenting chapels, several national schools, a British school, and charities £69. One of the dissenting chapels, Wesleyan, was built in 1866, at a cost of £5,000.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Dudley
Probate Court: Court of the Prebend of Prees or Pipe Minor
Rural Deanery: Handsworth
Poor Law Union: Dudley
Hundred: South Offlow