Adlington Cheshire Family History Guide
Adlington is a chapelry of Prestbury Ancient Parish in Cheshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: None
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Methodist New Connexion, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Pott Shrigley
- Poynton with Worth
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ADLINGTON, a township in Prestbury parish, Cheshire; on the river Bollin and the Northwestern railway, 5 miles N of Macclesfield. It has a station on the railway. Valuable mines of coal and flagstone are in the neighbourhood. Acres, 3,350. Real property, £7,583. Pop., 987. Houses, 187. Many of the inhabitants are silk-weavers. Adlington Hall is an old seat, and was taken, in 1645, by the Parliamentary forces, after a fourteen-days’ siege. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Macclesfield
Probate Court: Pre-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 – Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Pre-1541 – Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 – Chester
Rural Deanery: Macclesfield
Poor Law Union: Macclesfield