Aldford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.
Other places in the parish include: Buerton near Chester, Churton by Aldford, Edgerley, and Buerton.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1639
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1599
Nonconformists include: Methodist New Connexion
- Chester St Oswald
- Kings Marsh
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ALDFORD, a village, a township, and a parish in Great Boughton district, Cheshire. The village stands on an affluent of the Dee, 2½ miles ESE of Saltney r. station, and 6 miles S by E of Chester. It has a post office under Chester; and it was formerly a market town. A bridge here crosses an “old ford” on the line of a Roman road into Wales; and that old ford gave the place its name. Remains of a castle are in the neighbourhood, erected in the reign of Henry II., and garrisoned by Brereton in the civil war. The township comprises 1,273 acres. Pop., 438. Houses, 88. The parish includes also the townships of Edgerley, Buerton, and Churton-by Aldford. Acres, 2,633. Real property, £4,872. Pop., 731. Houses, 150. The manor, with Eton Hall, belongs to the Marquis of Westminster. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £330. Patron, the Marquis of Westminster. The church was rebuilt in 1866, and is in the early English style. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a free school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Great Boughton
Probate Court: Pre-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 – Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Pre-1541 – Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 – Chester
Rural Deanery: Malpas
Poor Law Union: Great Boughton