Altrincham Cheshire Family History Guide
Altrincham is an Ecclesiastical Parish and a market town in the county of Cheshire, created in 1812 from chapelry in Bowdon Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Altringham
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1799
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1814
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Methodist New Connexion, Presbyterian, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, Unitarian, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ALTRINCHAM, or Altringham, a town, a township, two chapelries, a subdistrict, and a district, in Cheshire. The town is in the parish of Bowdon, at an intersection of railways, adjacent to the Bridgewater canal, 8 miles SSW of Manchester; comprises good streets and some handsome villas; is a seat of petty-sessions and county courts, and a polling-place; publishes a weekly news paper; carries on iron-founding, bone-grinding, timber sawing, much trade from neighbouring market-gardens, and much transit traffic, and has a head post office, three r. stations, two chief inns, a town hall of 1849, a literary institution in the Tudor style enlarged in 1864, a plain church of 1799, a church in the decorated English style built in 1867, a Wesleyan chapel in the Byzantine style built in 1864, five other dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, five public schools, a medical hospital, charities £57, a weekly market on Tuesday, and three annuals fairs. The township comprises 657 acres. Real property, £24,087. Pop., 6,628. Houses, 1,240. The chapelries are St. George and St. John. The livings are p. curacies. Value of St. G., £210. Patron of St. G., the Vicar of Bowdon; of St. J., the Bishop of Chester. The subdistrict comprises part of the parish of Bowdon and all the parish of Ashton-upon-Mersey. Acres, 17,796. Pop., 18,214. Houses, 3,453. The district comprehends also the subdistrict of Wilmslow, containing the parishes of Mobberley, and Northern, and part of the parish of Wilmslow; the subdistrict of Lymm, containing the parishes of Lymm and Warburton, and parts of the parishes of Bowdon, Rosthern, and Great Budworth; and the subdistrict of Knutsford, containing the parish of Knuts ford, and parts of the parishes of Rostherne and Great Budworth Acres, 73,665. Poor-rates in 1866, £15,917. Pop. in 1841, 31,019; in 1861, 40,517. Houses, 7,782. Marriages in 1866, 230; births, 1,385, of which 115 were illegitimate; deaths, 855, of which 317 were at ages under 5 years, and 16 were at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 2,012; births, 12,179; deaths, 7,387. The places of worship in 1851 were 20 of the Church of England, with 8,832 sittings; 12 of Independents, with 2,895 s.; 4 of Baptists, with 615 s.; 1 of Quakers, with 200 s.; 6 of Unitarians, with 684 s.; 2 of Moravians, sittings not reported; 21 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 3,672 s.; 1 of New Connexion Methodists, with 500 s.; 9 of Primitive Methodists, with 879 s.; 1 of Wesleyan Association and 1 of Brethren, sittings not reported; 1 of Latter Day Saints, with 50 s.; and 2 of Roman Catholics, with 130 s. The schools in 1851 were 42 public day schools, with 2,755 scholars; 64 private day schools, with 1,590 s.; 63 Sunday schools, with 5,649 s.; and 2 evening schools for adults, with 85 s. The workhouse is in the township of Knutsford-Inferior.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Altrincham
Probate Court: Pre-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 – Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Pre-1541 – Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 – Chester
Rural Deanery: Frodsham
Poor Law Union: Altrincham