Ashton upon Mersey is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.
Alternative names: Ashton on Mersey
Other places in the parish include: Sale.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1636
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605
Nonconformists include: Calvinist, Independent/Congregational, Presbyterian Unitarian, Primitive Methodist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Chorlton cum Hardy
- Stretford St Matthew
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ASHTON-ON-MERSEY, a township and a parish in Altrincham district, Cheshire. The township-lies on the river Mersey, near the junction with it of the Bridge water canal, 1½ mile NW of Sale r. station, and 5¼ WSW of Manchester; it is not wholly within the parish of Ashton-on-Mersey, but extends into the parish of Bowden; and it has a post office under Manchester. Acres, 1,611. Real property, £9,522. Pop., 1,476. Houses, 298. The parish includes also the township of Sale. Acres, 3,592. Real property, £28,806. Pop., 4,507. Houses, 895. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £608. Patron, the Rev.B. Sowerby. The vicarage of Sale is a separate benefice. There are places of worship for Quakers, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists. Charities, £7.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Altrincham
Probate Court: Pre-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 – Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Pre-1541 – Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 – Chester
Rural Deanery: Frodsham
Poor Law Union: Altrincham