Astbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.

Other places in the parish include: Mosley, Somerford Booths, Somerford, Radnor, Odd Rode, Newbold Astbury, Mossley, Somerford Radnor, Moreton cum Alcumlow, Hulmewalfield, Hulme Walfield, Holy Trinity, Eaton, and Davenport.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1572
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1593

Separate registers exist for Mossley Holy Trinity:

  • Parish registers: 1845
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: None

Separate registers exist for Odd Rode:

  • Parish registers: 1809
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: None

Separate registers exist for Somerford:

  • Parish registers: 1691
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: None

Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Primitive Methodist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

  • Buglawton
  • Marton
  • Church Hulme
  • Wolstanton
  • Gawsworth
  • Brereton cum Smethwick
  • Smallwood
  • Church Lawton
  • Congleton St James
  • Congleton St Peter
  • Congleton St Stephen
  • Biddulph
  • Sandbach
  • Swettenham
  • North Rode

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ASTBURY, a village and a parish in Congleton district, Cheshire. The village stands on an affluent of the river Dane, adjacent to the North Staffordshire railway, near the Macclesfield canal, 1½ mile SW of Congleton; and has a post office under Congleton, and fairs on 30 April and 30 Oct. The parish includes the townships of Davenport, Somerford-Booths, Hulme-Walfield, Radnor, Buglawton, Congleton, Newbold-Astbury, Moreton-cum-Alcumlow, Smallwood, and Odd-Rode. Acres, 19,602. Real property, £66,903. Pop. in 1841, 14,519; in 1861, 19,351. Houses, 4,009. There are six chief proprietors. Coal, limestone, and building-stone are worked. Very many of the inhabitants are employed in silk factories, and some in cotton mills. The living is a rectory, united with the curacy of Hulme-Walfield, in the diocese of Chester. Value, £2,040. Patron, Lord Crewe. The church is early English, with a good spire; and contains chancel stalls, a rood-loft, some fine screen-work, stained windows, and carved oaken ceilings. Two very ancient monuments, with insignia of knighthood, are in the churchyard. The chapelries of Buglawton, Congleton, Congleton-St. James’, Congleton-St. Stephen’s, Eaton, Mossley, Odd-Rode, and Smallwood, and the donative of Somerford, are separate charges. Charities, exclusive of Congleton, £63. See Congleton.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Cheshire
Civil Registration District: Congleton
Probate Court: Pre-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 – Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Pre-1541 – Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 – Chester
Rural Deanery: Middlewich
Poor Law Union: Congleton
Hundred: Macclesfield; Northwich
Province: York