Plaistow St Mary Essex Family History Guide
Plaistow St Mary is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Essex, created in 1844 from West Ham Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Plaistow
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1830
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1830
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Roman Catholic, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- East Ham
- Woolwich St Thomas
- Poplar All Saints
- West Ham
- East Greenwich Christ Church
- Charlton next Woolwich
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PLAISTOW, a village, a chapelry, and a ward, in West Ham parish, Essex. The village stands on the great N sewer of the London sewage-works, adjacent to the London and Southend railway, 1½ mile SSE of Stratford, and 6¼ E by N of St. Paul’s, London; and has a station on the railway, a post-office under London E, and a metropolitan police station. The chapelry was constituted in 1844, and curtailed in 1862 and 1867. Pop. in 1861, 11,214. Houses, 1,689. Pop. as curtailed, 6,714. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of London. Value, £300. Patron, the Vicar of West Ham. The church was built in 1830 at a cost of £4,800; and is in the Tudor style. There are chapels for Independents and Quakers, and national, British, and Independent schools; and the last were built in 1866, at a cost of £2,500, and have accommodation for 500 children. The ward comprises the larger portion of the parish; contains the Victoria docks and Silvertown; and consists, to a considerable extent, of marsh. Real property, in 1860, £81,004; of which £524 were in railway s. Pop. with Church-street ward, in 1851, 8,231; in 1861, 22,337. Houses, 3,418.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: West Ham
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
Rural Deanery: Barking
Poor Law Union: West Ham