Pitsea Essex Family History Guide
Pitsea is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1688
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1639; 1800
- North Benfleet
- Bowers Gifford
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PITSEA, a village and a parish in Billericay district, Essex. The village stands near a creek of the Thames and near the Southend railway, 5 miles WSW of Rayleigh; and has a station on the railway . The parish is mainly peninsulated by creeks, and includes part of Canvey island. Post-town, Rayleigh, under Chelmsford. Acres, 2,167; of which 125 are water. Real property, £2,196. Pop., 263. Houses, 57. The property is divided among a few. The manor was held, at the Norman conquest, by Ulneva, the wife of Phin. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £420. Patron, alternately the Hon. L. F. Dawnay and the Rev. G. Heath-cote. The church stands on a knoll, commanding a fine view of the surrounding country and the Thames; and it has a tower.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Billericay
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
Rural Deanery: Barstable
Poor Law Union: Billericay