Inworth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.

Other places in the parish include: Tiptree.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1732
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629

Separate registers exist for Tiptree:

  • Parish registers: 1666
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: None

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

  • Kelvedon
  • Tolleshunt Knights
  • Great Braxted
  • Tolleshunt D’Arcy
  • Messing
  • Feering

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

INWORTH, a village and a parish in Witham district, Essex. The village stands on a rising ground, 1½ mile SE of Kelvedon r. station, and 5 NE of Witham. The parish comprises 1,554 acres; and its post town is Kelvedon. Real property, £2,554. Pop. in 1851, 717; in 1861, 655. Houses, 146. The decrease of pop. was caused by the closing of a silk factory. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to J. H. Blood, Esq. Inworth Hall is now merely a modern farm house. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £306. Patron, T. Poynder, Esq. The church is ancient but good; has a wooden belfry: is partly built with Roman bricks; and contains remains of a Roman tessellated pavement, and a piscina. There is a national school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Essex
Civil Registration District: Witham
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester
Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 – Lexden, Post-1846 – Coggeshall
Poor Law Union: Witham
Hundred: Lexden
Province: Canterbury