Ingatestone Essex Family History Guide
Ingatestone is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1800
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Moravian/United Brethren, and Roman Catholic.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
INGATESTONE, a small town, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Chelmsford district, Essex. The town stands on the Eastern Counties railway, 5 miles NE of Brentwood; is but partly in Ingatestone parish, more largely in Fryerning parish; took its name from the words “ing,” “atte,” “stone,” signifying “the meadow at the mile stone,” is supposed to be on a Roman road, at a spot where a mile stone stood; was, at one time, a place of much importance, with a considerable market; consists now chiefly of one street; and has a railway station, a head post office, a good inn, gas works, a church, an independent chapel, alms houses, and a cattle fair on 1 and 2 Dec. The church has a lofty brick tower, and contains monuments of the Petre family. The almshouses were founded in 1157, for 12 poor Roman Catholics, by Sir William Petre, Bart.; and rebuilt in 1840, by Lord Petre. The parish comprises 2,678 acres. Real property, £5,023. Pop., 882. Houses, 200. The property is divided among a few. Ingatestone Hall is a very ancient irregular edifice; was formerly a seat of the Petre family; is now occupied by several Roman Catholic families; and has attached to it a Roman Catholic chapel. The Hyde is the seat of the Disneys. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Buttsbury, in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £561. Patron, Lord Petre. The sub-district contains eleven parishes. Acres, 27,534. Pop., 6,573. Houses, 1,405.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Chelmsford
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – Chelmsford, Post-1844 – Ingatestone
Poor Law Union: Chelmsford