Ovington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Other places in the parish include: Belchamp St Ethelbert.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1630
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational.
- Tilbury juxta Clare
- Belchamp St Paul
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
OVINGTON, a parish in the district of Risbridge and county of Essex; near the river Stour at the boundary with Essex, 2 miles S by W of Clare, and 2½ N by E of Yeldham r. station. It appears on record so early as the time of Edward the Confessor; and it includes the quondam parish of Belchamp, St. Ethelbert. Post-town, Clare, under Sudbury. Acres, 705. Real property, £1,122. Pop., 145. Houses, 32. Ovington Hall is now a farm-house. The living is a rectory, united with the rectories of Belchamp, St. Ethelbert and Tilbury, and with the chapelry of Allbrights, in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £547. Patron, the Rev.J. Fisher. The church is ancient and small.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Risbridge
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Middlesex (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 – Hedingham, Post-1846 – Yeldham
Poor Law Union: Risbridge