Orsett is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Other places in the parish include: Crondon.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1669
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1639; 1800
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Stock Harvard
- West Hanningfield
- Little Thurrock
- Horndon on the Hill
- Great Baddow
- Grays Thurrock
- South Ockendon
- Chadwell St Mary
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ORSETT, a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Essex. The village stands 2½ miles W of Stanford-le-Hope r. station, and 8½ S by E of Brentwood; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a post-office under Romford, and a police station. The parish comprises 4,134acres. Real property, £7,777. Pop., 1,531. Houses, 290. Most of the property, with Orsett Hall, belongs to R. B. W. Baker, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £820. Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church is old but good; and consists of double nave, and two chancels, with brick tower and spire. There are Independent and Wesleyan chapels, a literary institute, an endowed school, and charities £187. The workhouse of the district also is here; was built at a cost of £3,115; has accommodation for 200 persons; and, at the census of 1861, had 149 in-mates. The sub-district contains also the parishes of Bulphan, Horndon-on-the-Hill, Langdon, Fobbing, Corringham, Stanford-le-Hope, Mucking, East Tilbury, West Tilbury, and Chadwell, St. Mary. Acres, 29,615. Pop., 5,234. Houses, 1,003. The district comprehends also the sub-district of Grays, containing the parishes of Grays-Thurrock, Little Thurrock, West Thurrock, Aveley, Stifford, South Ockendon, and North Ockendon. Acres of the district, 45,597. Poor-rates in 1863, £5,526. Pop. in 1851, 10,642; in 1861, 11,595. Houses, 2,132. Marriages in 1663, 63; births, 438, of which 29 were illegitimate; deaths, 221, of which 87 were at ages under 5 years, and 6 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 634; births, 3,865; deaths, 2,365. The places of worship, in 1851, were 15 of the Church of England, with 2,823 sittings; 4 of Independents, with 836 s.; 1 of Baptists, with 150 s.; 2 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 282 s.; 1 of Primitive Methodists, with 66 s.; 1 of Wesleyan Reformers, with 100 s.; and 1 undefined, with 22 attendants. The schools were 16 public day-schools, with 1,012 scholars; 17 private day-schools, with 339 s.; 21 Sunday schools, with 1,278 s.; and 2 evening schools for adults, with 15 s.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Orsett
Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – Barstable, Post-1844 – Orsett
Poor Law Union: Orsett