Temple Balsall is a chapelry of Hampton of Arden Ancient Parish in Warwickshire.
Alternative names: Balsall, Balshall, Temple Balsall
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1736
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1809
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BALSALL, Balshall, or Temple-Balsall, a chapelry in the parish of Hampton-in-Arden, Warwick; 3 miles E of Knowle r. station, and 9 W by S of Coventry. Post Town, Knowle under Birmingham. Real property, £8,864. Pop., 1,140. Houses, 291. The manor was given, in the reign of Stephen, to the Knights Templars; belonged afterwards to the Knights Hospitallers; passed, in the time of Edward VI., to the Earls of Warwick and Leicester, and afterwards to Lady Katherine Leveson; and was bequeathed by that lady for the erection and endowment of an hospital for poor women and boys. A hall Was built by the Templars as a commandery or preceptory; and remains of it still exist. The hospital of Lady Leveson was enlarged under an act of Queen Anne; is now an extensive and substantial suite of buildings, in the form of a square, on the border of a large green; and has an income of £1,421. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £50. Patron, the Governor of Balsall Hospital. The church was built by the Templars, about the middle of the 12th century; is 104 feet long, 39 feet wide, and 57 feet high; and has lofty, pointed, finely-traceried windows, timber roof, and stone stalls. Other charities than the hospital £26.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Solihull
Probate Court: Court of the Manor of Temple Balsall
Rural Deanery: Arden
Poor Law Union: Meriden