Maxstoke Warwickshire Family History Guide
Maxstoke is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Other places in the parish include: Maxstoke Castle.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1647
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1676
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MAXSTOKE, a parish, with a village, in Meriden district, Warwick; on the river Blythe, adjacent to the Hampton and Whitacre link of the Midland railway, 2¾ miles SE of Coleshill. Post town, Coleshill, under Birmingham. Acres, 2,701. Real property, £3,791. Pop., 322. Houses, 62. The property is divided among a few. The manor of the Castle belongs to F. Dilke, Esq.; and that of the Priory belongs to Lord Leigh. Maxstoke Castle was built, in the time of Edward III., by William, Earl of Huntingdon; has a quadrangular form, with a hexagonal embattled tower at each angle; is surrounded by a moat; continues to be in good repair; forms an interesting specimen of the architecture of its period; belonged to successively the Staffords, the Comptons, and the Egertons; and is now the residence of F. Dilke, Esq. An Augustinian priory was founded near the churchyard,about the same time as the castle, by William, Earl of Huntingdon; stood on a spot now occupied by a farmhouse; and is still represented by ruins of a fine gateway, and by the tower of the church. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £100. Patron, Lord Leigh. The church is tolerable. There are an endowed national school with £30 a year, and charities £55.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Meriden
Probate Court: Pre-1837 – Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 – Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Arden
Poor Law Union: Meriden