Forrabury Cornwall Family History Guide
Forrabury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Alternative names: Fotherbury
Other places in the parish include: Boscastle and Trevored.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1710
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1611
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist, Methodist, Society of Friends/Quaker, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
FORRABURY, or Fotherbury, a parish in Camelford district, Cornwall; on the coast, 5 miles NNW of Camelford, and 17½ N of Bodmin-Road r. station. It includes part of the town of Boscastle, which has a post office under Camelford. Acres, 508. Real property, with Minster, £4,123. Rated property of F. alone, £1,233. Pop., 366. Houses, 83. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to J. R. Avery, Esq. Slaty anthracite, dark shale, and manganese occur. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £70. Patron, J. R. Avery, Esq. The church stands above Boscastle, adjacent to the lofty headland of Willabark; is dedicated to St. Simphorian, who is traditionally said to have been buried in it; has a tower, without a bell; and is in good condition. An ancient granite cross, on a limestone pedestal, is outside the churchyard, and commands a view of the coast. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £5.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Camelford
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
Rural Deanery: Trigg Minor
Poor Law Union: Camelford