Feock is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Alternative names: St Feock
Other places in the parish include: Devoran, Penpoll, Townsend, and Carnon Downs.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1671
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1597
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
FEOCK (St.), a village and a parish in Truro district, Cornwall. The village stands at the expansion of the Fal or Truro river into Falmonth harbour, near the Perranwell station of the Falmouth railway, 4½ miles S of Truro; and has a post office under Truro. The parish comprises 3,090 acres of land, and 675 of water. Real property, £6,937; of which £95 are in quarries, and £2,354 in the railway. Pop. in 1851, 1,934; in 1861, 2,411. Houses, 447. The property is subdivided. Trelissick House, the seat of the Hon. Mrs. Gilbert, is an elegant mansion in the Ionic style, with portico on the model of the temple of Erectheus at Athens; is surrounded by picturesque and romantic scenery; and stands on an acclivity, commanding a rich view over Falmouth harbour and its shores to the ocean. Killiganeen belonged to the Husseys, and passed to the Sprys. Low Feock belonged to the brave seaman Penrose, of the time of Charles II. The Redruth and Chacewater railway terminates at Point quay in this parish. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Doveran, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £175. Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church has an ancient cross, and a separate tower; was the place in which service was last performed in the Cornish language; and was reported in 1859 as not very good. Another church is at Devoran; and is a recent edifice, in the early English style, with a spire. There are Wesleyan chapels, and an old Quakers’ chapel, the oldest in the county.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Truro
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
Rural Deanery: Powder
Poor Law Union: Truro