Wapping is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Middlesex, created in 1729 from Stepney St Dunstan Ancient Parish; located on Green Bank.
Alternative names: St John of Wapping, St John Wapping
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1617
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1803
Nonconformists include: Baptist, French Church, Independent/Congregational, Jewish, Roman Catholic, and Society of Friends/Quaker.
- Bermondsey St James
- St George in the East St George
- Rotherhithe St Mary
- St Botolph without Aldgate
- Rotherhithe Christ Church
- Whitechapel St Mark
- Bermondsey Christ Church
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WAPPING, a parish in Stepney district, Middlesex; on the Thames, at the London docks, 2 miles ESE of St. Paul’s, London. It forms a low strip along the river’s bank; was overflowed or marshy till the time of Elizabeth; was then reclaimed, embanked, and converted into meadow and building site; had only one street in the time of Charles II.; was the scene of Judge Jeffries’ capture in a sailor’s disguise in 1688; formed part of Whitechapel parish till about 1695; became all occupied with streets or with appurtenances of London harbour; is now occupied, over considerable space, by part of the London docks; suffered demolition of many houses for dock extension prior to 1861; presents the appearances characteristic of the port of London; and has a post-office under London E, a Thames police station, a church, an endowed school with £587 a year, a Roman Catholic school, a workhouse, and charities £47. Acres, 80; of which 39 are water. Real property, £39,560. Pop. in 1851, 4,477; in 1861, 4,038, of whom 341 were in the workhouse. Houses, 435. The living is a rectory in the diocese of London. Value, £300. Patron, the Bishop of London.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Stepney
Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (London Division)
Rural Deanery: Not created until 1858
Poor Law Union: Stepney
Hundred: Ossulstone (Tower Division)