Penn Staffordshire Family History Guide
Penn is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Lower Penn and Upper Penn.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1569
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1664
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PENN, a village and a parish in Wolverhampton district, Stafford. The village stands 2½ miles WSW of Bilston r. station, and 2 SSW of Wolverhampton; and has a post-office under Wolverhampton. The parish comprises the townships of Upper P. and Lower P. Acres, 3,986. Real property, £12,693. Pop. in 1851, 1,160; in 1861, 1,765. Houses, 356. The property is much subdivided. P. House belonged to the Bradneys, and passed to the Pershouses. The hardware manufacture is carried on. A section of Upper P., containing a pop. of 852 in 1861, was constituted a chapelry, under the name of St. Philip, in 1859. The head living is a vicarage, and that of St. P. is a p. curacy, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value of the former, £226; of the latter, £90. Patron of the former, the Bishop of Lichfield; of the latter, the Rev. W. Dalton. The parish church is good. The church of St. P. was built in 1860, at a cost of £3,994; is in the style of the 14th century; and consists of nave, S aisle, transept, and chancel, with vestry and tower. There are an endowed school with £115 a year, alms-houses with £39, and other charities £8.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Wolverhampton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Trysull
Poor Law Union: Seisdon
Hundred: North Seisdon