Raughton Head is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cumberland, created in 1737 from Castle Sowerby Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Raughton and Gaitsgill, Raughton Head with Gatesgill, Raughtonhead
Other places in the parish include: Gatesgill.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1663
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1702
- Carlisle St Cuthbert
- Hesket in the Forest
- Castle Sowerby
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
RAUGHTON-HEAD, a chapelry in Castle-Sowerby parish, Cumberland; on the river Caldew, 3¾ miles S by W of Dalston r. station, and 7 SSW of Carlisle. It has a post-office under Carlisle. Rated property, £1, 941. Pop., not separately returned. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £100. Patrons, Twelve Trustees. The church was rebuilt in 1678, and enlarged in 1760. There is a slightly endowed school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Carlisle; Penrith
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Allerdale
Poor Law Union: Penrith
Hundred: Leath Ward