Dean Cumberland Family History Guide
Dean is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Braithwaite, Branthwaite, Deanscales, Ullock, and Pardshaw.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1542
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1689
Nonconformists include: Society of Friends/Quaker and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DEAN, a township and a parish in Cockermouth district, Cumberland. The township lies on the river Marron, 3½ miles SSE of Camerton r. station, and 5 SW of Cockermouth. Real property, £2,312; of which £170 are in mines. Pop., 195. Houses, 36. The parish contains also the townships of Ullock and Branthwaite; the former of which includes the hamlet of Deanscales. Post town, Lamplugh, under Cockermouth. Acres, 6,360. Real property, £7,204. Pop., 829. Houses, 163. Coal and building-stone occur. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £318. Patron, the Rev. S. Sherwen. The church is old. A grammar school has £10 from endowment; and other charities £4.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Cockermouth
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries – Copeland
Rural Deanery: Copeland
Poor Law Union: Cockermouth
Hundred: Allerdale above Derwent Ward