Allonby Cumberland Family History Guide
Allonby is an Ecclesiastical Parish and a market town in the county of Cumberland, created in 1746 from chapelry in Bromfield Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: West Newton and Allonby
Other places in the parish include: West Newton.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1776
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1774
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Society of Friends/Quaker.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ALLONBY, a seaport village, a chapelry, and a township, in Bromfield parish, Cumberland. The village stands on a wide open bay of its own name opposite Rigg light-vessel, 2½ miles N of Bull Gill r. station, and 6 NNE of Maryport. It has a post office under Maryport; and it carries on a fishing trade, and is a summer resort for sea-bathing. It was the birthplace of the distinguished hydrographer, Huddart, who died in 1816. The chapelry includes the village. Pop. in 1851, 749. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £94. Patron, the Vicar of Bromfield. There are a Quaker’s meeting-house and a slightly endowed school.-The township includes West Newton, and bears the name of West Newton and Allonby. Acres, 1,794; of Which 573 are water. Real property, £5,627, of which £2,423 are in West Newton. Pop., 1,002. Houses, 252.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Wigton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Allerdale
Poor Law Union: Wigton
Hundred: Allerdale below Derwent Ward