Longdon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Upper Longdon and Brookend.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1687
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1663
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LONGDON, a parish in Lichfield district, Stafford; 1¼ mile S of Armitage r. station, 1¾ W of the Grand Trunk canal, and 4 NNW of Lichfield. It contains the village of Brookend, which is central, the village of Upper Longdon, and the straggling hamlet of Gentleshaw, aggregately so long that an old rhyme says that a beggar cannot beg through them on a summer day; and it has a post office under Rugeley. Acres, 4,511. Real property, £9,085. Pop. in 1851, 1,148; in 1861, 1,220. Houses, 289. The property is not much divided. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Anglesey. Beaudesert Park is the Marquis’s seat; Lysways is the residence of Mrs. Forster; and Hanch Hall is the property of Forster, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £230. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church has a Norman arch; is in good condition; and contains an altar-tomb of J. Forster, Esq., who died. in 1860, and other interesting monuments. A tract, which contained 311 inhabitants in 1861, is included in the chapelry of Gentleshaw, constituted in 1840. There are an Independent chapel at Longdon-Green, a Wesleyan chapel at Upper Longdon, a national school, alms houses for ten poor women, and other charities £100.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Lichfield
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of Longdon
Rural Deanery: Lichfield
Poor Law Union: Lichfield
Hundred: South Offlow