Kingswinford St Mary Staffordshire Family History Guide
Kingswinford St Mary is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Staffordshire, created in 1846 from Kingswinford Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1832
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1832
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KINGSWINFORD, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of Stourbridge, and county of Stafford. The village stands 2 miles WNW of the boundary with Worcester, 2¼ NW of Brierley Hill r. station, and 3½ N by W of Stourbridge; and has a post office under Dudley. The parish contains also the town of Brierley Hill and the hamlets of Wordsley, Bromley, Pensnett, Sheet End, and Wall Heath; and is cut ecclesiastically into the sections of Kingswinford, K. ST. Mary, Brierley Hill, Brockmoor, Pensnett, and Quarry Bank. Acres, 7, 315. Real property, with Amblecoat hamlet in Old Swinford parish, £273,468: of which £66,786 are in mines, £128,936 in ironworks, £9,550 in canals, and £1,584 in gas works. Pop. in 1851, 27,301; in 1861, 34,257. Houses, 6,489. The increase of pop. arose from the increased working of coal and ironstone mines, the erection of iron furnaces, the extension of the flint glass manufacture, the opening of the West Midland railway, and the operations of building societies. The manor belonged anciently to the Saxon kings, and belongs now to the Earl of Dudley. Holbeche House, the ancient seat of the Littletons, was the retreat of Catesby and other conspirators in the gunpowder plot. Prestwood House is now a chief residence. Ashwood heath, on the line of a Roman road, has remains of a Roman camp. Manufactures, in great variety and to a great extent, are carried on; and traffic is aided by numerous neighbouring ramifications of railway, and by the Stafford and Worcester canal. A market hall, 90 feet long, 57 wide, and 15 high, in the Gothic style, was opened in 1861. The livings of Kingswinford and Brierley Hill are rectories, and those of K. ST. Mary, Brockmoor, Pensnett, and Quarry Bank are p. curacies, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value of K., £950; of K.ST. Mary, £400. Patron of both, the Earl of Dudley. For the others, see Brierley Hill. The present church of K. is modern, and stands at Wordsley; and the previous one, St. Mary’s, is now the church of K. St. Mary. There are numerous dissenting chapels, varions public schools, and charities £21. The Stourbridge workhouse also is here; and, at the census of 1861, had 363 inmates. The sub-district is conterminate with the parish.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Stourbridge
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Himley
Poor Law Union: Stourbridge
Hundred: North Seisdon