Gentleshaw Staffordshire Family History Guide
Alternative names: Gentleshawe
Other places in the parish include: Gentleshaw, Cannock, Cannock Wood, Hednesford and Leacroft.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1837
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1837
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Independent/Congregational.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GENTLESHAWE, a chapelry in Longdon and Cannock parishes, Stafford; in Cannock Chase, 4 miles E of Cannock r. station, and 5 S of Rugeley. It was constituted in 1840; and it has a post office under Rugeley. Rated property, £1,400. Pop., 625. Houses, 138. Pop. of the Longdon portion, 311. Houses, 73. The property is divided among a few. The surface is aggregately very high; and includes the eminence of Castlehill, which commands a view of parts of nine counties. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £100. Patron, alternately the Bishop of Lichfield and the Dean and Chapter. The church was reported in 1859 to need repair.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Lichfield; Penkridge
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Lichfield
Poor Law Union: Lichfield
Hundred: East Cuttlestone; South Offlow