Croxden is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.
Alternative names: Croxden with Great Yate
Other places in the parish include: Dog Lane Liberty, Dog Lane, and Calton.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1673
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1674
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CROXDEN, a parish in Uttoxeter district, Stafford. It consists of a main body, called Croxden-with-Great-Yate, near the Uttoxeter canal and the North Stafford railway, 2 miles WNW of Rocester Junction r. station, and 5¼ NNW of Uttoxeter; and the liberty of Dog-Lane, detached 10 miles from the main body, and surroundcd by the chapelry of Calton. Post town, Rocester, under Ashbourne. Acres, 2,300. Real property, £3,188. Pop., 224. Houses, 46. The property is divided among a few. Croxden House is a chief residence. A Cistertian abbey was founded here in 1176; and the remains of it, including the west front, the south transept, and part of the cloister, show fine features of early English. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £92. Patron, the Earl of Macclesfield. The church is very old, but good; and was the burial-place of the heart of King John. Charities, £5.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Uttoxeter
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Uttoxeter
Poor Law Union: Uttoxeter
Hundred: South Totmonslow