Forton Staffordshire Family History Guide
Forton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.
Alternative names: Forton and Mere
Other places in the parish include: Sutton and Meertown.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1755
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Protestant Dissenters.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
FORTON, or Forton and Mere, a parish in the district of Newport and county of Stafford; on a branch of the Birmingham and Liverpool canal, contiguous to Salop, and adjacent to the Shrewsbury and Stafford railway, 1½ mile NNE of Newport, Salop. It includes the township of Sutton and the tything of Meertown; and its post town is Newport, Salop. Acres, 3,718. Real property, £5,432. Pop., 729. Houses, 137. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £474. Patron, Sir T. F. Boughey, Bart. The church is good; and there are an endowed school with £12, and other charities with £61.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Newport
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Eccleshall
Poor Law Union: Newport
Hundred: West Cuttlestone