Thatcham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Berkshire. Greenham and Midgham are chapelries of Thatcham.
Other places in the parish include: Henwick, Crookham, Colthrop, Cold Ash, and Awbury Street.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1561
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1612
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Chieveley with Winterbourne and Oare
- Shaw cum Donnington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
THATCHAM, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Newbury district, Berks. The village stands near the Reading and Trowbridge railway, and the Kennet and Avon canal, 3 miles E of Newbury; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Newbury, and a r. station with telegraph. The parish includes Greenham and Midgham tythings, and comprises 12,259 acres. Real property, £21,841. Pop. in 1851, 4,293; in 1861, 4,129. Houses, 955. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £555. Patron, the Rev. H. Martin. The church is partly Norman and early English, but chiefly later English; and was recently restored. The vicarage of Greenham and the vicarages of Midgham and Cold Ash are separate benefices. There are three dissenting chapels, a national school, an endowed school with £208 a year, alms houses with £95, and other charities £138. The sub-district contains 4 parishes. Acres, 15,327. Pop., 5,226. Houses, 1,171.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Newbury
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Berkshire
Diocese: Pre-1836 – Salisbury, Post-1835 – Oxford
Rural Deanery: Newbury
Poor Law Union: Newbury
Hundred: Faircross; Reading