Llanwarne Herefordshire Family History Guide
Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Lanwarne
Parish church: St. John the Baptist
The Ancient Parish church of St John the Baptist was abandoned in 1864 due to repeated flooding.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1675
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LLANWARNE, a parish in Ross district, Hereford; on an affluent of the river Wye, 4½ miles SE of TramInn r. station, and 6½ NW by W of Ross. It has a post office under Ross. Acres, 2,469. Real property, £1,043. Pop., 383. Houses, 76. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Sir H. Hoskyns, Bart.; and most of the land, to the Rev. D. Capper. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £300. Patron, the Rev. W. B. Mynors. The old church was a fine specimen of Saxon; consisted of nave, aisles, and chancel, with finely embattled tower; and contained many monuments and tablets; and the tower of it still stands. The new church was built in 1864, at a cost of £2,560; is in the decorated English style and cruciform, of local stone with Bath stone dressings; and has window tracery of Painswick stone. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £4.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Llanwarne Through Time
Llanwarne is now part of Herefordshire district.