Toddington Bedfordshire Family History Guide
Toddington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Bedfordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Chalton.
Parish church: St. George
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1540
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Roman Catholic, Independent/Congregational, Particular Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
TODDINGTON, a small town, a parish, and a sub-district, in Woburn district, Beds. The town stands 2 miles from Harlington r. station; presents an ancient appearance; is very irregularly built; carries on straw-plait manufacture; and has a post-office under Dunstable, a fine ancient church, three dissenting chapels, a national school, alms houses with £24 a year, other charities £71, and four annual fairs. The parish comprises 5,390 acres. Real property, £9,946. Pop., 2,433. Houses, 505. The manor, with T. Park, belongs to Major Cooper. T. manor was formerly the residence of the Duke of Cleveland, and of the Earl of Strafford; and it gave concealment for some time to the Duke of Monmouth, after the battle of Sedgemoor. Some Roman antiquities have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £830. Patron, J. Clegg, Esq. The sub-district contains six parishes. Acres, 12,812. Pop., 4,913. Houses, 1,012.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Woburn
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
Rural Deanery: Dunstable
Poor Law Union: Woburn