Status: Ancient Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1560
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregationalist, Primitive Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
OAKLEY, a village and a parish in the district and county of Bedford. The village stands on the river Ouse, near the Midland railway, 4 miles N W of Bedford; was damaged in 1823, in Nov. 1852, and at other times, by heavy floods; and has a post-office under Bedford, a station on the railway, and a very old five-arched bridgeover the Ouse. The parish comprises 1,740 acres. Real property, £2,834. Pop., 443. Houses, 94. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Duke of Bedford. Oakley House is the residence of H. Russell, Esq. The Oakley hounds take their name from the parish, but are kennelled at Milton. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Bromham, in the diocese of Ely. The church is ancient but good; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower. There is an endowed school with £35 a year.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Bedford
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
Rural Deanery: Clapham
Poor Law Union: Bedford