Norbury Staffordshire Family History Guide
Norbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Weston Jones with Loynton, Weston Jones, Norbury with Oulton, and Loynton.
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1673
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NORBURY, a village, a township, and a parish, in the district of Newport and county of Stafford. The village stands near the Grand Junction canal, 2½ miles E of the boundary with Salop, 3¼ NW of Gnosall r. station, and 4 NE of Newport. The township includes the village, and extends into the country. Pop., 217. Houses, 45. The parish contains also the township of Weston-Jones and the hamlet of Loynton. Post-town, Newport, Salop. Acres, 3,313. Real property, £4,157. Pop., 364. Houses, 71. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £483. Patron, the Rev. T. E. Buckworth. The church is ancient, has a brick tower, was restored in 1827, and contains many ancient effigies. There are a national school, and charities £50.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Norbury, a parish in the west division of Cuttlestone hund., union of Newport, county of Stafford; 4½ miles south-west by south of Eccleshall, intersected by the Birmingham and Liverpool Junction canal. The parish includes the township of Weston-Jones. Living, a rectory in the archd. of Stafford and dio. of Lichfield; rated at £10 2s. 6d.; gross income £533. Patron, in 1835, the Earl of Lichfield. Acres 5,270. Houses 49. A.P. £2,911. Pop., in 1801, 371; in 1831, 370. Poor rates, in 1838, £132 18s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Civil Registration District: Newport
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Eccleshall
Poor Law Union: Newport
Hundred: West Cuttlestone