Status: Ancient Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1568
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1601
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Wesleyan Methodist, and Primitive Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PEWSEY, a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Wilts. The village stands on a head-stream of the river Avon, near the Mid Wilts railway, 1 mile S of the Kennet and Avon canal, and 7 SSW of Marlborough; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a post-office under Marlborough, and a railway-station with telegraph. The parish comprises 4,791 acres. Real property, £9,828. Pop. in 1851, 1,921; in 1861, 2,027. Houses, 402. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to St. Thomas’ hospital and Sir Francis Astley. The vale of Pewsey separates Marlborough downs from Salisbury plain; is a strip of varied colour, flanked by slopes of chalk hills; and is noted for abundance of green-sand fossils. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £1,038. Patron, the Earl of Radnor. The church is mainly early English, partly perpendicular, with an E tower; and the chancel-was rebuilt in 1861. There are two national schools. The district workhouse is here; and, at the census of 1861, had 81inmates. The sub-district contains also the parishes of Milton-Lilborne, Wootton-Rivers, Easton, Burbage, Everley, Collingbourne-Kingston, and Collingbourne-Ducis. Acres, 28,784. Pop., 6,995. Houses, 1,149. The district comprehends also the sub-district of Netheravon, containing the parishes of Netheravon, Fittleton, Enford, Uphaven, Rushall, Charlton, Wilsford, North Newnton, Manningford-Bruce, Manningford-Abbots, Woodborough, Huish, and Wilcot, and the chapelry of Alton-Priors. Acres of the district, 65,650. Poor-rates in 1863, £5,630. Pop. in 1851, 12,503; in 1861, 12,466. Houses, 2,618. Marriages in 1863, 75; births, 454, of which 43 were illegitimate; deaths, 318, of which119 were at ages under 5 years, and ten at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 834; births, 4,037; deaths, 2,329. The places of worship, in 1851, were 22 of the Church of England, with 2,972 sittings; 7 of Baptists, with 1,013 s.; 6 of Wesleyans, with 1,006 s.; and 3 of Primitive Methodists, with 307 s. The schools were 19 public day-schools, with 1,263 scholars; 14 private day-schools, with 292 s.; and 23 Sunday schools, with 1,633 s.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Pewsey
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
Rural Deanery: Marlborough
Poor Law Union: Pewsey