Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Holm, Holm Lacey
Parish church: St Cuthbert
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1562
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HOLM, or Holm-Lacey, a village and a parish in the district and county of Hereford. The village stands out the river Wye, adjacent to the Monmouth and Hereford railway, 4¾ miles SE of Hereford; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Hereford. The parish comprises 3,192 acres. Real property, £4,522. Pop., 307. Houses, 67. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Laceys, passed to the Scudamore’s, and belongs now to Sir E. F. Scudamore Stanhope, Bart. Holm-Lacey House was re-built by the second Viscount Scudamore, the friend of the poet Pope; is now, for the most part, comparatively modern; has three fronts, with projecting wings; measures 150 feet along the S front, and 200 feet in total length; includes a saloon with beautiful wood-carvings by Grinling Gibbons; has some other splendid apartments; and contains some family portraits and fine paintings. Pope frequently resided in it, and wrote here his “Man of Ross.” The gardens connected with it are extensive, and on a plan similar to those of Hampton Court. Sir James Scudamore was the legendary “Sir Scudamore” of Spenser’s “Faerie Queene; and the first Viscount Scudamore is celebrated as the introducer, to Herefordshire, of the long famous redstreak apple. Philips, in his poem on Cider, says:- “But how with equal numbers shall we match The Musk’s surpassing worth? Yet let her to the Red-streak yield, that once Was of the sylvan Kind, unciviliz’d, Of no regard, till Scudamore’s skilful hand Improved her, and by courtly discipline Taught her the savage nature to forget: Hence styled the Scudamorean plant.” A Premonstratensian abbey was founded at Holm, by William Fitzwarine, in the time of Henry III.; and was given, at the dissolution, to the Laceys. A bridge was recently erected here over the Wye. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Bolstone, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £543. Patron, Sir E. F. S. Stanhope, Bart. The church is Norman, in tolerable condition; and contains a monument of the Duchess of Norfolk, who died in 1820, and some other family monuments. Charities, £133, and a bull worth £20 for the poor.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Hom-Lacy, or Holm-Lacy, a parish in Webtree hund., union and county of Hereford; 5½ miles South-eaat of Hereford, on the river Wye. Living, a vicarage, with the curacy of Bolston, in the archd. and dio. of Hereford; rated at £8; gross income £550. Patron, in 1835, Sir E. S. Stanhope. Here is a daily school. The endowed charities connected with Hom-Lacy, consist of, — a rent-charge of 40s. yearly, granted to the poor of this parish by Sir John Scudamore, Knight, of Hom-Lacy, in 1619: it issues out of the estate of Sir Edwin Scudamore Stanhope, Bart, in this parish; — a rent-charge of £117 2s., yearly, granted to 10 poor men of different parishes, in equal proportions, selected by Sir Edwin Stanhope; £10 of the amount to be given to the curate of Amberley, for the performance of divine service every Sunday in the chapel, and the administration of the sacrament there three times a-year; and £2 2s. to the same person for preaching an annual sermon: — this rent-charge issues out of the estate of Amberley, in the parish of Marden, in virtue of a sum of £2,200 bequeathed by the Hon. Jane Scudamore, in 1699, to her daughter the Hon. Mary Prince, in trust, for that purpose; — a rent-charge of £14 yearly, granted to the poor of this parish, by the Hon. Mary Prince, of Oxford, in 1718; — a rent-charge of £50 yearly to 5 necessitous women of Hom-Lacy, supposed to have been granted by one of the former dukes of Beaufort; — and a bull, of the value of about £20, donor unknown, but provided yearly by Sir Edwin Stanhope, and divided amongst all the poor of Hom-Lacy, Ballingham, and Bolston, in quantities varying from 4 lb to 10 lbs., according to the number of each family. Poor rates of the parish of Hom-Lacy, in 1838, £269 7s. Here was an abbey of Premonstratensian canons, founded in the reign of Henry III. Hom-Lacy court, the manor-house in this parish, was rebuilt by John, second Viscount Scudamore, of Sligo, in the kingdom of Ireland. It is of dark stone, and may be ranked among our National curiosities, as it presents a perfect specimen of the style of building preferred by our immediate ancestors. Sir James Scudamore was the legendary “Sir Scudamore” of Spenser’s “Faerie Queene.” In this house Pope frequently resided: here he wrote his “Man of Ross;” and in this mansion is preserved a portrait of Lord Strafford, copied by Pope from Vandyke. John, the first Viscount Scudamore, is celebrated as the introducer of the long famous Red-streak apple into Herefordshire. Philips, in his poem on Cider, thus notices the circumstance: —
“But how with equal numbers shall we match
The Musk’s surpassing worth ?
Yet let her to the Red-streak yield, that once
Was of the sylvan kind, unciviliz’d,
Of no regard, till Scudamure’s skilful hand
Improved her, and by courtly discipline
Taught her the savage, nature to forget:
Heuce styl’d the Scudamorean plant.”
In the reign of Charles II., Sir John Scudamore, Bart., Lord Viscount Scudamore, of Sligo, attempted, by a charitable bequest, to introduce the linen and woollen manufacture into Herefordshire; but, up to the present time the attempt has proved unsuccessful — see article Herefordshire. At the death of the Duchess of Norfolk, many claimants to the Scudamore property came forward. E. F. Stanhope, Esq., who took the name of Scudamore, succeeded in obtaining one half: the remainder was divided between Mr. Parsons, who took the name of Higford, and Lieut. Gen. Burr. In 1835, hops were cultivated in this parish to the extent of 53½ acres. Acres 3.310. Homes 78. A. P. £3,344. Pop., in 1801, 237; in 1831, 430.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Civil Registration District: Hereford
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Archenfield
Poor Law Union: Hereford