Harewood Herefordshire Family History Guide
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Denis
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1759 see also Pencoyd
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1772
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HAREWOOD, a parish in Ross district, Hereford; near the river Wye, 3¾ miles WSW of Fawley r. station, and 5½ NW of Ross. It has a post-office, of the name of Harewood-End, under Ross. Acres, 664. Real property, £1,016. Pop., 101. Houses, 20. Harewood-House is the seat of Sir Hungerford Hoskyns, Bart. An ancient forest, including the parish and extending beyond it, was called Harewood forest, and contained the castle of Earl Ethelwold, who is supposed to have been assassinated by King Edgar. The living is a donative in the diocese of Hereford. Value, not reported. Patron, Sir H. Hoskyns, Bart. The church has long been disused.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Church Records – Indexes
Civil Registration District: Ross
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Archenfield
Poor Law Union: Ross