Langtoft Yorkshire Family History Guide
Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Langtoft with Cottam
Riding: East Riding
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1587
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1601
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist and Primitive Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LANGTOFT, a village, a township, a parish, and a sub-district in Driffield district, E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the Wolds, 6½ miles N by W of Driffield r. station; and has a post-office under Driffield. The township comprises 3,140 acres. Real property, £3,335. Pop., 688. Houses, 142. The parish contains also the township of Cottam, and comprises 5,680 acres. Real property, £5,607. Pop., 783. Houses, 151. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Sir John Gibbons. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Cottam, in the diocese of York. Value, £354. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church has a tower of the 13th century, and a nave, a chancel, and a porch of much later date; was restored in 1862; and contains an ancient font and sedilia. There are a church at Cottam, chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and a national school. Peter de Langtoft, the monkish poet and historian of the 14th century, was a native. The sub-district contains also six other parishes and part of another. Acres, 35,736. Pop., 4,259. Houses, 832.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Driffield
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Prebend of Langtoft
Rural Deanery: Dickering
Poor Law Union: Driffield