Status: Ancient Parish

Other places in the parish include: Dunswell, Kingston upon Hull St John, Clough Road, Newland, Newland near Hull, St John, Willerby, Willerby near Hull

Alternative names: Kingston upon Hull St Mary

Riding: East Riding

Parish church: St. Mary the Virgin

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1563
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1598

Separate registers exist for Kingston upon Hull St John beginning 1833

Nonconformists include: Independents, Primitive Methodists, and Wesleyan Methodists

Adjacent Parishes

  • Sutton
  • Skidby
  • Kingston upon Hull Holy Trinity
  • Wauldby
  • Beverley St John with St Martin
  • Wawne
  • North Ferriby
  • Kirk Ella
  • Sculcoates All Saints
  • Rowley
  • Haltemprice

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

COTTINGHAM, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Sculcotes district, E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands near the Hull and Scarborough railway, 4½ miles NW by N of Hull; has a station on the railway, and a post office under Hull; and was once a market-town. The parish includes also the hamlets of Dunswell and Newland. Acres, 9,495. Real property, £31,275. Pop., 3,131. Houses, 693. The property is much sub-divided. A moated baronial fortalice of the Lords Wake stood here, on Castle Hill; and was burnt down in 1541. A monastery of Augustinian canons also was founded here, in 1324, by the Wakes. Some country residences of the Hull merchants are here. Part of the land is disposed in market gardens. An intermitting spring flows at intervals of two or three years. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £124. Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The church is cruciform, early English, and perpendicular; has a lofty central tower; and contains several monumental brasses, one of them perhaps the finest in the kingdom. The p. curacy of Newland is a separate benefice. There are chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists. A school has £40 from endowment; and other charities £29. The sub-district contains also Willerby township Acres, 10, 315. Pop., 3, 391. Houses, 745.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death Census Migration & Naturalization Military Probate & Court

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Yorkshire
Civil Registration District: Sculcoates
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Diocese: York
Rural Deanery: Harthill and Hull
Poor Law Union: Sculcoates
Hundred: Harthill
Province: York

Photographs